PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Storage

rusty37874
01-27-2012, 04:37 PM
I know it it advised to leave the blade open on Auto's for long term storage. I was curious if that applies to Interrogator blades. Now there's a "Off Topic" question for you guys.

MarkK
01-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I've seen this discussed ever since I got into autos - with about half the people going each way.

It can't hurt to leave them open (unless you cut yourself). I store most of mine in bracelet boxes and leave them open if they will fit in the box that way. Otherwise I close them.

In any case - coil springs are cheap.

Snapper
01-27-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm with Mark on this topic.MITUSA

pete1958
01-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I just take them out of the net, wipe it down with Mil-Tec cloth, close it and put it in a Maxpedition Decopod and then into the safe. I have in the past just rolled them up in bubble wrap and put them in an open tote in the safe.

I think the main thing is to keep just a light coat of oil/lube/preservative on them, keep dry and from banging into one another.

Markk idea is great because it allows him to store the maximum number in his storage are (presumably a safe).

I was always more worried about getting them stolen, than rusting. Now if your talking Damascus blades, you really need to make sure they stay lubed. I have an old Mini Rung Sat that I EDC, and it doesn't get babied. Barely can tell it has seen the pocket time it has.

Jay

alexcapone
01-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Can you guys recommend a display case that allows the knives to be stored open? I need something temporary for like 5-10 knives till I can grow my collection. I have a giant cupid and a couple of knucks which will not fit in some display cases.