PDA

View Full Version : Just Looking Back...

pete1958
01-13-2012, 06:53 AM
I was just thinking about my Dalton journey. It started somewhere in the early 2000's when I bought a Splash handled Bones from a guy "Genie" out of FLA. When I got it and opened the blade the sound "TWHACK" seem to grab me. After that it was on. We had a small forum which was part of another forum. The location and details about Rob, his operation and location where sketchy and not the usual knife maker shop. Bladeaction was a place we all had our eye on waiting for that great deal! On the forum knives would be listed without pics and be gone within minutes or hours. Every month it seems like a new model was coming out that was cooler than the last and a must have. It was an interesting time to say the least! I had quite a collection and my health went south on me and to cover my newly aquired extra cost of insurance, I sold many (but not all!) of my collection. Lots of you guys have may have a knife that 2 or 3 of us may have owned at one time. Today I buy one every now and then. Mainly models that I really didn't get to own or sold and then regretted. I have always believed that these knives are special in design, quality and made in very low numbers. For the new collector, you'll definately find something that will speak to you and that you'll have to have! Its been a fun ride and I'm ready for what's ahead!

:)

eddiebob
01-13-2012, 08:03 AM
I have to think you are one of the fortunate ones, getting started early on. I didn't get started until the middle of 2011. I have managed to acquire several very nice ones and a lot of others. Every now and then something special pops up. Thank goodness my work is such that I can check the forums frequently. I have been working with the custom shop and they are producing some really nice work. A bit pricey when compared to the older ones. I will post the customs when I get them (hopefully today or tomorrow). DCC just listed another new one along with the Hells Cupid - Dogs of War! Anyway, I am always interested in acquiring any of the older ones. They are just getting a little harder to find. Ed B

Shovelhead
01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Ed, where did you see The Dogs of war ? I went to DCC site just now & I didn't much of anything? Maybe he is updating the website again? Did the website have that new Camo background when you saw it?

Thanks

Also this discussion is so true & brings back many memories of good old Dalton days..

eddiebob
01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
http://daltoncombat.com/pg2.html

Yes, it has the new camo background. And it is listed on the Tactical page. Depending on price I am thinking about damascus blades. We shall see.... I am still waiting on the list for the 'Hells Cupid'. Doesn't look like there is one, yet. We will just have to stay on top of it. Later, Ed B

Shovelhead
01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks Ed, I was too busy looking for a pic of the knife ..lol never bothered to read the words..

Woodstock
01-14-2012, 01:55 AM
I do miss the old days. Most of his knives came out at such a frequency that I could pick one up. i was very happy with that as i had a new model every so often. I'm still a huge Dalton fan but haven't really taken to his new ones. Oh well. It's all about the journey.

I was just thinking about my Dalton journey. It started somewhere in the early 2000's when I bought a Splash handled Bones from a guy "Genie" out of FLA. When I got it and opened the blade the sound "TWHACK" seem to grab me. After that it was on. We had a small forum which was part of another forum. The location and details about Rob, his operation and location where sketchy and not the usual knife maker shop. Bladeaction was a place we all had our eye on waiting for that great deal! On the forum knives would be listed without pics and be gone within minutes or hours. Every month it seems like a new model was coming out that was cooler than the last and a must have. It was an interesting time to say the least! I had quite a collection and my health went south on me and to cover my newly aquired extra cost of insurance, I sold many (but not all!) of my collection. Lots of you guys have may have a knife that 2 or 3 of us may have owned at one time. Today I buy one every now and then. Mainly models that I really didn't get to own or sold and then regretted. I have always believed that these knives are special in design, quality and made in very low numbers. For the new collector, you'll definately find something that will speak to you and that you'll have to have! Its been a fun ride and I'm ready for what's ahead!

:)

pete1958
01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
I do miss the old days. Most of his knives came out at such a frequency that I could pick one up. i was very happy with that as i had a new model every so often. I'm still a huge Dalton fan but haven't really taken to his new ones. Oh well. It's all about the journey.

Very true! It was the thrill of the hunt! I like most of the new knives but it all about cash flow for me right now. Lots of good deals for the newer collectors out there on the older stuff.